How can Big Data bring out Deep Knowledge?
Sunday, August 12, 2012 1:00 PM.
Nowadays, the quantity of data that is created every two days is estimated to be more than 5 exabytes. This data flood has outpaced our capability to process, analyze, store and understand these datasets. This panel aims to bring together people from both academia and industry to discuss and exchange ideas and thoughts in order to advance this big-data challenge. We would like to debate at least the following questions:
- What is big data?
- Why big data provides more value?
- What fundamental challenges are that new to data miners or is it more a system issue?
- How to evaluate the effectiveness of big data algorithms, just accuracy and efficiency?
- What is your comments on current big data mining platforms: MapReduce/Hadoop, streaming, and in-database analytics. Is this sufficient?
- How to solve cross-institutional sharing of data? Privacy, law, business models, competitive reasons? Will this really work?
Panelists: Bharat Rao (Siemens Healthcare), Vivekanand Gopalkrishnan (Deloitte), Charles Parker (BigML), Ankur Teredesai (University of Washington and nPario), Anjan Goswami (eBay and UC Davis).